Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dinner for a Date

When I became vegan I just accepted that I would have to let my attachment to cheese go. I had tried soy cheeses and they were fine, but nothing quite like the original. After releasing my addiction I stumbled upon a new, supposedly life-changing brand called Daiya. SO TRUE.

I bought a bag of "cheddar shreds" and recreated a sandwich from my favorite veggie place in town, The Earth Cafe and Deli. Their Groovy Grilled Cheese has been my favorite for a long time (minus icky pickles, of course)



Above is a gem of a meal I made one night for myself and a lover. Grilled daiya + tempeh bacon with stone ground mustard, french fries from a local restaurant (leftover), and Ginger Kale. 

I think I make Ginger Kale something like once a week. It's crisp/salty/ginger-y green fabulousness is good and good for you. It also takes maybe 5 minutes to make. The perfect quickie.

Ginger Kale (enough for 2)

One bunch kale, de-stemmed and ripped into bite size pieces
2 tbsp canola oil
Thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and diced
Soy sauce or tamari

Saute oil and ginger in pan until ginger is fragrant (about 2 mins). Add kale pieces and drizzle with soy sauce. Stir constantly until kale is cooked down slightly but still bright green. Take it off the heat just before you think it's ready, it becomes small and mushy quite fast!

Gives a whole new dimension to the word "easy".

No comments:

Post a Comment